Diploma in Teacher Education in Emergencies
UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI
New Diploma in EiE now launched!
The University of Nairobi – Faculty of Education launched its brand-new 4-semester diploma course in Education in Emergencies (EiE).
Download the Flyers:
- Notice of Recruitment/ Scholarships (One-Pager PDF)
- Notice of Advertisement, recruitment and scholarship (Longer PDF)
The Diploma in Teacher EiE is designed to equip student teachers with the theoretical and practical skills necessary to become professional teachers. Apart from equipping them with the knowledge and understanding of the teaching profession, the programme will equip them with skills to carry out teaching in complex emergencies and different social-cultural contexts. The program targets untrained practising “teachers”, trained teachers but who aspire to be deployed in emergencies and conflict-affected regions, and other individuals interested in acquiring or furthering their academic or career in Education in Emergencies.
The programme will be contextualized to address the needs of refugee, displaced, and host communities. It is delivered fully online, with Google Classrooms, and occasional web-based sessions.
The programme teaches the following:
- The INEE Minimum Standards for Education in Emergencies particularly as they relate to access, community engagement, gender and inclusion
- Guidelines on inclusion (leave no one behind), inclusive classroom management and using context-appropriate teaching methods and materials
- Role and well being of teachers in emergency contexts (e.g. refugee camps) including socio-emotional learning
- Managing curricula and understanding school and community management in emergency contexts.
- How to teach key subjects (English, Math, Physical education, social studies,…) in low-resource environments